Municipality of Serifos

Contact Details

22810 51210 - 22810 52311
Chora Serifou 84005, Serifos
info@serifos.gr

Ανακοινώσεις Δήμου

Φάρος - σπαθι

Other Landmarks

Other Landmarks

Tholos
At the north end of Kallitsos village, in-between old stone buildings, there stands the solid rocky ‘Tholos’. It is an impressive rectangular construction part of it remains until today (approx. 2 meters high).

 

Gria’s Castle
On the top of the hill, over the bay of Koutalas and east of Aspros Pirgos, there hide a few ruins of the Gria Castle (meaning ‘old woman’s’ castle). It used to be either a small village or a group of scattered defensive turrets. The ancient wall, that was probably taller than 2 meters indicates that it was fortified very well.

 

Washhouse
The whitewashed building located in the last turn going from Livadi to Chora and before Kato Chora on the highway, with the arches dating back to the 19th century, is called Mesa Pigadi or Paspari area. Under its wavy rooftop here are four troughs, where women of the area used to wash their family’s clothes while also Kato Chora was getting water from it.

 

The Lighthouse
The stone lighthouse is one of the most beautiful places on the island. It stands imposing since 1901 on the steep cliffs of Cape ‘’Spathi’’, in the southern part of Serifos, 65 meters above the sea. The stone finishes around the windows and in the corners of the walls make it one of the most beautiful lighthouses in the Cyclades.

 

Psaropirgos or Cyclops’s Throne
The ‘’Throne’’ which is also mentioned as Psaropirgos or ‘’Kanapes’’ or Cyclop’s Throne is a big construction consisting of along slates, almost 8,4 meters long and 4,2 meters wide. To the west side, part of an ancient wall, probably an enclosure, is preserved and few meters northern appears the Cyclops cave with entrance and stairs carved into the rock.

 

The Cave of Koutala
The cave of Koutala (or Stavrakopoulos), that was discovered by chance in 1893 during excavations has magnificent stalactites and stalagmites and crystallized ancient clay vessels of Hellenistic and Roman times. It is one of the most important sights in the area, as well as the impressive system of the streets and ramps, from where the wagons transported the ore from the slopes of the surrounding hills to the "Stairs" for loading.

 

The Chapel of Agioi Apostoloi
About four hundred meters above the amazing beach of Platys Gialos, is the chapel of Agios Apostolos, which is built on the ruins of a pre-existing nave, which also was founded on the ruins of two or even three ancient temples. It is speculated that the foundations of one of the pre-existing temples probably belong to a pre-Christian temple, as evidenced by the pieces of the old columns, which were found in the surrounding area, which still exist in the churchyard with obvious damage over the years.

 

The byzantine church of Panagia (Virgin Mary)
The church of Panagia (Virgin Mary) which is situated in the village of Panagia and is considered a building of the end of the first millennium around 950-1000 AD is Byzantine and is the oldest church on the island. The church is of the cruciform basilica type and has remarkable murals of the 14th and 17th centuries. The church is also called Xylopanagia from a festival that was taking place a long time ago. The tradition called for the young men of the island to fight for who would dance first with his beloved one around the square’s age-long olive tree. It is said that the couple that would make it first, would get married on the same year. During the revolution of 1821 AD, in which the Serifs participated actively, its cells were used as a shelter for refugees coming from Peloponnese and the surrounding islands.